A shining example of sustainability worldwide

Tirupur has set a precedent by becoming a truly sustainable global apparel manufacturing hub. The knitwear cluster of Tirupur in southern India has now evolved into a completely transformed global hub for garment manufacturing in the country. From hosting one of the most polluting textile value chains until a few years ago (which had caused massive protests from local farmers and other communities); followed by the Madras Supreme Court order ordering the closure of approximately 750 dyeing and bleaching plants in this cluster for failure to comply with the State Pollution Control Board’s ZLD norms, Tirupur is currently a fully Zero Liquid Discharge garment cluster, in which the water used by its dyeing and processing units is treated in standard wastewater treatment plants and reused. Not only does the cluster use significantly less water, but it also does not discharge hazardous water. Tirupur cluster, which has emerged as a sustainable sourcing destination for knitwear, is currently the Rs 60,000 billion company halfway through its production exported to the world market with 300 Dyeing Units connected to 18 Common Wastewater Treatment Plants (CETPs) and 60 Dyeing Units with their own Individual Wastewater Treatment Plants (IETPs). The CETPs and IETPs in Tirupur have successfully implemented Zero Liquid Discharge (ZLD) as the first of their kind in the world. Every day, 18 CETPs recycle 100 MLD water and 60 IETPs recycle 20 MLD water. The effluent is treated to recover 94 percent of the water, which is recycled back into processing, and the remaining 6 percent is recovered as brine or salt for reuse in the process. “We as a cluster have shown a high level of resilience and perseverance to get where we are today. We are proud to make Tirupur a green center where most of the resources are used sustainably. The first years were really difficult like this.” Dyehouses were not able to meet the ZLD requirements. But we managed to overcome all our challenges to build one of the most sustainable circular fashion supply chains,” says KM Subramanian, President of the Tirupur Exporters Association (TEA) and Managing Director of Rs 750 crore KM Knitwear, which accounts for 50 percent of its knitwear production exported to the world market.” For 10 years we have been consistently pursuing our ZLD model and have also taken on several projects aimed at significantly reducing our carbon footprint. As a green cluster, we have made a lot of progress,” says A Sakthivel, President, Association of Indian Export Organizations Chairman of the Apparel Export Promotion Council and Founding President of TEA Kumar Duraiswamy, Deputy Secretary of TEA says that the toxic effluents generated during the processing of fabrics depleted the water table prior to the introduction of ZLD, which is now has been completely eliminated and the treated water recovered f Used for processing fabrics. “Our efforts have paid off. Aside from successfully implementing ZLD, we do several things to positively impact our surroundings and environment. In fact, we have set a precedent for others to emulate and help build a more sustainable ecosystem for the industry,” says N. Thirukkumaran. Secretary General, TEA. “Tirupur as a knitwear center has come a long way. Each and every stakeholder has played their part in making this cluster a truly sustainable cluster for apparel manufacturing. We will continue our quest to take this success story to the next level,” says Gopalakrishnan, Chairman of Tirupur-based Royal Classic Mills. Led by flagship knitwear brands such as Classic Polo, the Rs 750-crore company boasts To have the largest IETP in Tirupur.Besides the ZLD implementation, Tirupur units have installed both solar power plants and wind power generators that produce 1,600 KVA per day, while the electricity consumption of industry in Tirupur cluster is only about 250 KVA the total electricity consumption of the whole Tirupur district is 650 KVA, and therefore the excess green electricity is distributed through the Tamil Nadu electricity grid.In another major initiative called “Vanathukul Tirupur”, a mass planting of trees was carried out by an NGO called VETRY.Supported by Tirupur- Clothing units, VETRY has planted 15,000 seedlings in the last 8 years Genetic water use is one of the most important activities that are widely pursued in the cluster. In recent years, the amount of rainwater collected has made many factories self-sufficient in terms of water consumption. The article was written by Arbind Gupta, a well-known journalist. Source: ANI

Comments are closed.